Established in 2010 by his wife, Dr. Freda Scott Giles, the Lee Roy B. Giles Encouragement Award honors the legacy of Mr. Giles with a cash award given to a student who has exhibited some form of excellence in the area of African American Studies, whether in research, practical application, or academic experience. The application committee chooses one graduate student and one undergraduate student to receive the award each spring. Preference shown to those who meet the following criteria, but we welcome all interested applicants:
- students who major, minor, or earn a certificate in African American Studies;
- graduate students engaged in research relevant to African American Studies;
- students who fit the above criteria who have been accepted into a non-European study abroad program
Each cycle, we will award $500 to one undergraduate student and one graduate student. See application criteria and deadlines below.
- be in Good Academic Standing
- complete application personal statement including student name, 81 number, full contact information, & program of study (including any involvement within IAAS)
- one Faculty Nomination or Letter of Recommendation submitted together with application statement by the applicant with the rest of application materials
- The 2022 Giles Award application cycle has closed. 2023 information will be announced in early spring!
- Questions? Email Ms. Rowan King: firstname.lastname@example.org